Navy Mutual is implementing a multi-factor authentication (MFA) feature for your Customer Portal to add an additional layer of security to your account.
What is multi-factor authentication?
Multi-factor authentication is an authentication method that requires the user to provide two or more verification factors to gain access to a resource, such as an online account.
By asking you to complete a second step of verification, we are double-checking your identity. It is much harder for defrauders to access your account when MFA is in place because they would not only need your username and password, but also your phone.
Navy Mutual’s Customer Portal makes it easy to use multi-factor authentication.
- Log in to your Customer Portal Account: Click Here.
- Type in your username and password. Once you successfully log in, you will receive an email confirming that MFA is now active on your account. This means that the next time you log in, you will be redirected to an authentication page.
- Type in your username. You will be redirected to authentication page to type in your password. You will be required to enter a code to verify your identity.
- Choose to get the code through SMS or to receive a call with instructions. (Press the pound key (#) to finish your verification.)
Once the verification step is complete, you will gain access to your Customer Portal account.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does MFA protect my account?
MFA prevents unauthorized access by requiring an additional verification process beyond your login information. Usernames and passwords can be compromised, but by adding an additional layer of security that only you should have access to – such as your phone – your account is more protected.
How does MFA work?
MFA works by adding a second layer of authentication during the sign in process. First, you will sign in like you normally do. Next, you will enter a six-digit security code that will be sent to you by text message. Alternatively, you can choose “Call me” to receive a call. By following the instructions provided, you will gain access to your account.
Can I use another authentication method?
Currently, we can only use the phone number associated with your account as an authentication method.
Why am I not getting authenticated?
We are rolling out the MFA feature in batches. Once your MFA is activated, you will receive an email to inform you that MFA is now available for your Customer Portal account.
Why does it keep on asking me to authenticate? Is there a way it can remember me or my device?
We are in the early stages of implementing this feature. Every time you log in, you will be required to authenticate regardless of whether you are using the same device. We are working to improve this feature.
What if I don’t get the code?
There are several reasons why you may not receive a code. If you do not get a code:
- Verify that the last five digits of your phone number are correct.
- Make sure that the phone number associated with your account is a mobile phone.
- Make sure your phone has active service through a network carrier.
Need further help? Contact Customer Service.
What if the number on my account is not updated?
You can update your phone number via “My Profile” on the portal. If you cannot log in to your account to do so, please Contact Customer Service.
Why is Autofill on iOS not working?
When using the autofill feature on iOS Devices, the “Verify” button does not respond. You may need to manually type in the number to be able to click the “Verify” button.
Why is my number showing 11 digits (xxx-xxx-12345)?
The number includes the country code.
Can I turn off MFA?
At this time, once activated, you cannot disable MFA. Navy Mutual protects our Members by requiring this security feature. Stay tuned for future feature enhancements.