Revised September 2022
Other than as disclosed in this notice, we do not release your PI to anyone other than you unless you grant permission to release that information.
We educate our employees to be sensitive to privacy concerns and hold them accountable for violations of the Navy Mutual privacy protection policy. We restrict access to PI about you to those employees who need to know that information to provide products or services to you.
Information We Collect About You
Our web servers automatically collect some technical information from your visit(s) to www.navymutual.org to help us measure website activities and to improve our website. This information includes your Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser types, the pages requested, and referring websites.
An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to your computer when you use the Internet. We use the information we record to administer the site more effectively, analyze trends, track users’ movement on our website and gather broad demographic information about what countries and domains our visitors come from in order for us to improve the website and the delivery of content.
We may collect PI about you from the following sources:
- Information you provide us on applications or other forms whether in writing, by telephone or electronic means, or in person.
- Information about transactions with us, such as changes in beneficiary designations, policy loans, etc.
- Information from consumer reporting agencies and nonaffiliated third parties, such as data brokers or data aggregators.
- Information we obtain from your insurance examination, medical records, or health histories with your authorization during the life insurance application/underwriting process.
Similar to other websites, the Navy Mutual website deposits cookies on the visitor’s computer to track user session(s) on our website and web applications. Cookies help us distinguish repeat visitors from first-time visitors and give us helpful information about how our pages are viewed.
All information provided to Navy Mutual through its website is transmitted through Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption. We employ reasonable physical, electronic and procedural protections to protect your PI from unauthorized access.
Credit Card Information
Navy Mutual does not store your credit card information on its website or web applications. Navy Mutual utilizes a third-party payment processor to collect premiums using credit cards, and the information is encrypted to protect the user’s identity.
How We Use Information About You
The information we collect is used to provide you with the products and services you request. We may use your information for the following purposes:
- To respond to your inquiries, including questions about prospective or past membership, benefit information, and insurance claims.
- To operate and improve our products and services.
- To operate, personalize, and improve our website, including for analytics purposes.
- To send updates, promotions, and marketing materials that may be of interest to you.
- To comply with the law and to maintain the security of our website.
- With your consent, or as otherwise disclosed at the time information is collected.
To Whom We May Disclose Information About You
We may disclose PI we collect to the following parties:
- Persons or organizations with whom we have contracted to provide products or services, such as to companies that provide check writing, billing services, and medical information on insureds. These companies are contractually required to protect the confidentiality of the information they receive, and are permitted to use such information only for the purpose for which it was disclosed. Prior to contracting with third parties for products or services, Navy Mutual confirms these third parties have implemented appropriate measures to protect and secure your PI in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
- Pursuant to a subpoena, court order, governmental inquiry, or other legal process or as otherwise required by law, to protect our rights or the rights of third parties, or to protect the safety or security of any person or entity.
- With your consent or as otherwise disclosed at the time of data collection or sharing.
We do not sell your PI. We may use or share your PI to enhance your experience on our sites, to help deliver our ads on your web browser, and to measure advertising campaign effectiveness.
Third-Party Links and Tools
Our website also includes integrated social media tools or “plug-ins,” such as social networking tools offered by third parties. If you use these tools to share personal information or you otherwise interact with these features on our website, those companies may collect information about you and may use and share such information in accordance with your account settings, including by sharing such information with the general public.
Your interactions with third-party companies and your use of their features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide those features. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy policies of any accounts you create and use.
Updating Your Information
Consistent with our Bylaws, Navy Mutual members are responsible for keeping the Association updated on their contact information. If you notice that your information is incomplete, inaccurate, or out of date, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (800) 628-6011. If you are a Navy Mutual member, you can also review and request changes to certain PI such as your email address, mailing address, and telephone number through our secure member site.