This holiday season, we reflect on the universal need to protect our loved ones.
One hundred and forty years ago, a group of Naval officers founded Navy Mutual. They were motivated by a desire to protect their loved ones.
There were no premiums—just annual assessments based on the number of deaths that occurred the year before. Navy Mutual is one of the earliest providers of life insurance in American history.
Today, Navy Mutual continues to pursue the mission established in 1879, while adapting to the challenges our members face 140 years later. Our mission:
- To provide life insurance to servicemembers at our lowest net cost possible
- To assist families in obtaining government benefits for which they’re eligible
- To educate servicemembers about their financial benefits
Our Membership has certainly changed over the years:
In 1879, Navy Mutual served only active duty Naval Academy officers. Today, we serve enlisted personnel, officers, veterans, as well as immediate families and survivors of servicemembers in all branches of the military and uniformed services.
In 1948, LCDR Isabel Marguerite Myers became our first female Member. Today, 26% of our insured Members, 60% of our employees, and nearly a third of our board are women.
One Navy Mutual constant continues to be our financial strength and stability:
- Our total assets currently exceed $3 billion
- For 16 years in a row, we’ve been rated “A+” by Fitch Ratings
- Nearly 99% of our Members and their families stay with us for life
While much has changed over the past 140 years, our commitment, competence, and character remain constant. We are here for the sole purpose of serving our Members. Thank you for providing us the opportunity to serve you. We wish you and your loved ones a very happy holiday.
President & CEO